Bill Gilbert Candidate For Governor 2018
- The Wasted Vote Myth -
People can do many things with their vote. They can waste it by not voting. They can vote for their preferred candidate or they can use it to send a message to the establishment. I am working hard so that a vote for me is all three!
I believe that women should have 100% control over their own health care decisions. The abortion issue, also known as may well be the biggest wedge issue in all of humanity. That being said it does not mean we should leave it to others to decide the issue for our state. The legislature should immediately debate this issue and in my opinion codify Roe V. Wade into Rhode Island law
- Rhode Island should lead the nation in providing universal health care to all of its citizens
- Ensure that our health insurance plans offer mental health treatment and assessments as they do for other physical issues
- Eliminate pre existing condition exclusions
- Provide for access to interstate plans and foster competition nationally
- Rhode Island should be the first state to offer debt forgiveness to all students who choose to remain here. Why?
- Students loans are the second largest type of consumer debt second only to mortgages
- Average student loan is $37,172 for 2016
- 1998 and 2005 changes to the bankruptcy laws create a special class of debt that protects predatory student lenders over debt owed to main street merchants and "mom and pop" businesses
- With student debt at 1.7 trillion and climbing we are heading to a financial crisis like we had in 2008 due to housing
- Education -
- Major investment in Vocational training by building a new state-of-the-art, 1000 student, 100,000 sq. ft. facility that offers classes such as electronics, plumbing, medical coding, Master Cam and 3D modeling program certifications.
- Adopt universal Pre-K
- Investigate allowing some urban schools to offer a night or second shift program for families with parents who work off or back shifts.
- Allow and provide alternative online and computer aided programs.
- Partner with companies like Lynda.com , tooling.com and PTonline.com to provide free access to these companies’ many courses for all of Rhode Island residents.
- Economy -
- Make Rhode Island a better value proposition!
- Reduce the sales tax to 5% so we are competitive within a two state hop
- Vocational education to provide employers with the most advanced industrial trained employees in the country
- Tourism. A unified, systematic and well planned tourism plan will draw temporary visitors to our state without increasing our housing needs and costs for our local population
- Reduce the overall budget by cutting the administration by 15%, selling or leasing the RI Convention center which is losing $45 million a year
- Crime -
- Create a white collar crime unit to focus on online and telemarketing scams
- Appoint an Auditor General to ferret out government fraud and waste
- Stiffer penalties for parents and gun owners who allow minors to have free access to weapons; Weapons must be secured when not in a lawful adult gun owner’s possession
- We need to change our culture and shift our entertainment away from glorifying violence
- Utilize public schools more as recreation and community centers after hours to engage youths who otherwise would be adrift and unsupervised.
- Strong community police presence that positively engages the citizens to prevent crime instead of using a heavy-handed authoritarian, military style approach: citizens are not the enemy.
- Decriminalize marijuana and many other drugs. The war on drugs has wasted resources, ruined lives and has not had any appreciable positive effect. Our resources are better needed in treatment and prevention.
- URI and Providence Journal Debate 2018l -
- The #1 In Depth Political Interview This Election Cycle -
If you want to be an informed voter you should see this! Planning on holding your nose when you vote? You should see this! No candidates you have seen yet excite you? You should see this! I mean what I said about Trump too.
Whatch my interview with Parker Gavigan below.
There Are More Choices
Hard hitting interview with Tyler Salk of www.990wbob.com talk show. We discuss WPRI's exclusion of my campaign, the "No Path to Victory for Mayor Fung and some fun parts of my Platform. We talk access to justice, family court, education, civil right etc. (audio only)
Gina raised 7 million for tv commercials zero for children. I have been talking school safety and emergency management before Gina was ever elected Governor (clip below). Four years later, we still don't have a school safety plan.
Hear my Interview with Tara Granahan of 630WPRO, as we discuss Eminent Domain, the PawSox, governmental thuggery as the Speaker and Gina stomp on Article VI of the Rhode Island constitution.
"Some people are yelling so loud we can't hear them. We all want a better tomorrow and it starts today. Listen to "Bill Gilbert Moderate Party Candidate for Governor" on WPRO via #spreaker
Hear my plan for the first 100 days #DeepDive (audio only)
I still believe this message from my '14 election today. Let's stop arguing and build a future. This election I am applying to be your Governor.
Hear what I say about state employees, Republicans and Democrats when Tyler asked me about my candidacy in this @990wbob interview. #DeepDive . I meant every word. (audio only)
Bill Gilbert, the only candidate supporting our teachers. (From 2014 forum)
Rhode Island is a beautiful state and a beautiful place to live. Why can’t it also be a great place to do business, to work and earn a decent living? A great place to enjoy the quality of life that should be possible in such a beautiful state?
A lot of Rhode Islanders believe that the politics of this state are not serving the interests of the people; that corruption has spoiled everything and that there’s no hope of redemption. Thousands are leaving the state to find a better way of life.
I’m Bill Gilbert, and I’m running for the office of Governor under the Moderate Party. It’s a third party that offers Rhode Islanders a choice. If you’re sick and tired of politics as usual in this state, vote for change. Let your politicians know you’ve had enough. Vote for the Moderate Party to make your voice heard.
I believe the state of Rhode Island should be nurtured and marketed to the rest of the country as the gem that it is. Tourism should be our greatest asset, and we should be letting the rest of the world know just how gorgeous this little state is. Rhode Island should be known worldwide as the little state with the incredible beaches, great food and culture, easy access to mountains, lakes and ocean, city and country life, farmland and marshes, wildlife and outdoor adventures. We’ve got it all right here in our small state. Summer fun. Fall foliage. Winter snowscapes. I think we can promote Rhode Island’s assets and become known the world over as a place to visit and have a great time, overcome our reputation as a corrupt state where convicted felons get elected and politics are the only business making money for the connected few.
As Governor, I want to be Rhode Island’s ambassador to the world. I want to make tourism our top priority and bring travel dollars into our state, stimulate jobs and revenue that doesn’t suck the resources out of our system.
Most importantly I want to offer Rhode Islanders a clean, ethical choice in leadership. Vote for me for as Governor and vote for the Moderate Party and let the two-party system know it isn’t working for you and you’ve had enough.